Monday, February 21, 2011

Moving Forward


The older I get, the more I believe failure is God's way of steering us down His path. We often have a way that we think is right. After all, we have thought it through, asked for advice, been trained, studied demographics, and ultimately convinced ourselves that what we are doing is right.
I have a problem though. I doubt any of you have the same thing going on. You see, once I've made a decision, I feel like I've got to stick with it. Otherwise, to change my way of thinking is tantamount to admitting defeat. Thinking that way only makes me think I've failed. It is humiliating, and it is difficult to change your mind. Yet I get back to what I started this blog with, failure brings direction. It helps me see God's directing hand. There is great clarification that comes along with failure.
So, starting today, I want to look at failure differently. It is a blessing not a curse; it is God's grace, not His punishment. Failure is ultimately what drives us to be "Plan B" Christians, and it there that God uses us the greatest. That is how I can move forward and press on to God's purpose. Simply by making sure when I fail, I fail forward. It is then you can fail God's direction, and that is always best. So, there is hope for us all...those of us who have fallen short of God's glory. Welcome to "Plan B." It is God's way of dealing with every one of us. "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead."
Philippians 3:13 (HCSB)

1 comment:

  1. Pressing on, pressing on... great song by Relient K on the subject. I know failure is unavoidable in life, but it just seems like some people fail more than others. Or at least that is how I perceive it from the outside. For instance I fail a lot more than that guy. But the more I read and listen I realized most of those guys have already failed a ton of times. I'm just seeing the success.

    ReplyDelete