Thursday, March 4, 2010


Love that Will Not Let Me Go

Have you ever heard someone say this, “Love makes the world go ‘round”? I used to think that was so trite. Now...not so much. As we study and put into practice the biblical concept of love, I have begun to understand that love is the center of all that God intended us to be and all that He has for us in this life. It is love that drives us to serve Him. The Bible tells us, “For the love of Christ constraineth us…” 2 Corinthians 5:14 (KJV). The Message brings that same verse home, “Christ's love has moved me to such extremes. His love has the first and last word in everything we do.” I read that and I thought, “Can love possibly be that critical to who we are and what we do?” As I asked, I knew the answer to my question: love is more important than I could ever imagine. If God’s love penetrates my life and then is focused on my relationships with God and with people, then it’s impact is both epic and eternal.

But is that kind of love possible in our lives? It has to be. God would never ask us do something that we could not accomplish.

“Jesus didn’t give us a ‘do the best you can’ challenge; this is a ‘do more than you possibly could’ challenge.” Therefore, “If I’m going to love as Jesus loved, I need the power only Jesus can give.” (The Relationship Principles of Jesus, Tom Holladay, p. 83)

O Love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee; I give thee back the life I owe, That in thine ocean depths its flow May richer, fuller be. (Hymn, Public Domain; Matheson, Peace).

Love...never let me go.

You can listen to my message from this Sunday (February 28, 2010) below, The Father's Love

No comments:

Post a Comment