Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cursed? Pt. 1


It is with fear and trepidation that I write this because I am not a disagreeable person. Sure, I like to debate as much as the next person, but never for the sake of being disagreeable.

It was recently said on television that the land of Haiti has been cursed because of a pact that was made with the devil by some leaders who thought that voodoo was the only way to get rid of the French in the early 1800’s. After a little research, I found out that there is some evidence to point to that as being true. I am not sharing my thoughts because I think that this is true or false. I don’t believe, however, that the people of Haiti, and therefore the Haitian nation was privy to this pact nor would they have supported it. The truth of the matter is that it doesn’t matter who did what and who this pact was made with. All nations have people who have made deals with the devil. Look at our own nation and the satanic priest, Anton LeVey, the head of the church of Satan in America. I’m sure he has made many pacts with the devil. Does that mean that a curse is against our nation? Somehow, I doubt it. As lost as Sodom and Gomorrah were, God was willing to spare them for only 10 righteous people (7 of whom would have been Lot’s own family, Genesis 18:32). Would it be any different for a nation in this age of grace? Again, I doubt it. God’s patience is beyond anything that you or I could ever be, the Lord “is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9 (HCSB).

So, what about this thing of natural disasters?

Is it because of a curse?

Why do disasters happen? Is God just out to get people?

Who should be prepared for judgment?

(Continued in Part 2)

4 comments:

  1. only because they made a deal with the devil? or because Haiti is supposed to be a sinful place? is Haiti anymore sinful than charleston? i remember hearing the same ideas expressed about New Orleans with Katrina. in that perspective, it seems the world as a whole is an overly sinful place. earthquakes hit everyday, some worse than others. everyone can find a religious reason as to why some are worse in certain locations. its a world thing to me, not based completely on one city. i dont God is out to "get" anyone. i think its all part of of what is said in revelation. its all coming to en end. im not overly knowledgeable of the Bible but i do know a lot. If a major disaster hit the "holy city", what do you think these same people would say about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point. Every place is sinful and every place deserve judgment. It is because of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed (See Lamentations 3:22-23) I have a feeling that on the day when we all stand before God, there will be many who say all kinds of good things, but in the end, the Lord Himself will tell them depart from you cursed...I never knew you.
    we should be very careful when judging, because God will use the same measuring stick against us.
    Interesting that you thought enough about my blog to make a comment. Greatly appreciated. I do have a question, though, do you consider yourself a good person?

    ReplyDelete